During the 10:30 a.m. High Mass at Holy Family on Sunday, May 5, a number of altar servers were enrolled in the Archconfraternity of St. Stephen.
The Archconfraternity is an altar server guild that was originally formed in March 1905 by Fr. Hamilton MacDonald, chaplain to the Sacred Heart Convent, Hammersmith, England, by permission of the Archbishop of Westminster, Cardinal Francis Bourne, and blessed by His Holiness Pope St. Pius X the following November. On December 4, 1906, the Holy Father erected the guild into an archconfraternity prima primaria, having the power to affiliate to itself other similar guilds outside the Archdiocese of Westminster in the British Isles. On February 19, 1934, His Holiness Pope Pius XI extended this privilege throughout the British Empire.
With the permission of Archbishop J. Michael Miller and the blessing of Cardinal Cormac Murphy O’Connor, the former Archbishop of Westminster, a chapter of the Archconfraternity has been established at Holy Family Parish. Its goals are the sanctification of altar servers by teaching them the privilege of serving, the manner of observing the rites and ceremonies of the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite, and the meaning and purpose of the sacred liturgy.
To view the text of the enrollment ceremony, please click here.
Holy Family parishioner Clayton Long has posted several photos of the enrollment ceremony, including the following, on his website (to view them, please click here).